Friday, April 1, 2011

Blog Post #8

This may seem odd, but the most interesting perspective I found while "flying" around Google Earth, was this one:




This image shows how far out into the ocean Hawaii actually sits. I can honestly say, I had no idea it was out there that far! I knew that it was generally between the United States and Australia but I wasn't quite sure where. It always seems to get stuck on the map as a little inset and no one really knows were it belongs. This is the main reason that it made me think about the Earth differently. I realized that there are probably quite a few places that I couldn't place on a map (which the map quizzes in class are slowly helping with). 


Something that really had me thinking was this: I might do alright at placing places on a flat map, but what if you gave me a globe? I don't think I would do well at all. By "flying" around Google Earth, I had a better sense of where continents and countries are in relation to each other. This definitely helped me think about the world differently.  



No comments:

Post a Comment